Rangiroa (or Ra’iroa) is the largest atoll of Tahiti and her Islands and one of the four largest in the world, with more than 240 motu (islets). Rangiroa is worldwide famous for its extraordinary diving opportunities. A genuine natural aquarium, rated by Command Cousteau as the most beautiful and richest lagoons in the world.
The incomparable brilliance and colors of the lagoon from jade-green to purple, completely overwhelm the visitor who discovers this long ribbon of islets way out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
The main government buildings are to be found in Avatoru – the main village – including the Mayor’s Office, the Post Office, the Pearl Industry Research Center together with a mother of pearl and pearl culture Crafts Center, and two churches. The other village of Tiputa has houses ringed with bleached coral and fenced with flowering hedges.
An 8-mile road links the two villages and their neighborhoods.
Dive or not, the atoll is a sweet paradise for anyone, where several excursions will lead to pink sands, hidden “motu” and the blue lagoon, a heavenly and isolated place.
- Rangiroa is the largest atoll in French Polynesia
- A world famous deep-sea diving paradise
- A wide range of water activities
- The two passes
- The island’s luxury hotels
Activities and Sightseeing
- Snorkeling in Tiputa pass
- Scuba diving
- Excursion to the Blue Lagoon
- The “pink sand” beaches
- The Island of Reefs
- “Robinson Crusoe” cruises on board luxury catamarans
- The villages of Avatoru & Tiputa
- Guided tours of the pearl farms
- Vin de Tahiti, Green lagoon motu
- Nautical activities : the blue lagoon, the reef island
- Nautical lagoo & coral reef pass excursions
- Glass bottom boat
- Deep-sea sport fishing
- Spa and relaxation center
Archipelago : TUAMOTU ISLANDS
Surface : 7,900 Ha of land on 415 groups of motu (islets)
Location : 217 miles northheast of Tahiti
Population : + 2,438
Capital city : Avatoru
Specificity : largest atoll in Polynesia, and one of the largest in the Pacific Ocean