Maupiti lives mostly from watermelon and coprah agriculture produced on motu (islets). It is accessible by plane from Papeete (Air Tahiti) with 3 weekly flights via Bora Bora or Raiatea.
Maupiti lagoon also features amazing snorkeling spots. Check the one between motu Tiapaa and Pitiahe (beware of currents !)
A 3-hour walk to the peak of mount Teurafaatui will let you admire an unforgettable panorama over the lagoon with Bora Bora island in the background and, when the weather permits, even Raiatea and Tahaa.
In Maupiti, nature remains the absolute ruler and the few family hotels established on the island or on the “motu” will share those unique moments of harmony taht can only be found on the islands of French Polynesia.
- Well preserved and less tourists
- Bora Bora style lagoon
- Very nice white sand secluded beaches
- Many interesting sights : the village of Vai’ea at the foot fo the cliffs with its cave
- A sancturary of seabirds
- the single endemic flower the Tiare Hina on Motu Pitihahei
- The large melon plantation on Motu Auira
- A wealth of culture to discover
Activities and Sightseeing
- Rent a bike and explore the island
- Walk on the motu (islets)
- The Tiare de Hina
- Reddish cliffs
- The village of Vai’ea
- Walk from Vaiea to the Hotu cliffs
- Nautical activities
- Nautical lagoon & coral reef excursions
Archipelago : SOCIETY ISLANDS
Surface : 4 sq miles
Location : 25 miles west of Bora Bora
Population : + 1,256
Highest peak :
Moint Teurafaaitu (1,220 feet)
Capital city : Vaiea
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER !
Just set yourself on «dream » mode and get connected to Paradise! Subscribe to our Newsletter to get special offers! This won't take you more than a click!